Canadian Direct Insurance is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China, Ltd. is a Chinese holding conglomerate whose subsidiaries mainly deal with insurance, banking, and financial services. The company was founded in 1988 and is headquartered in Shenzhen.
Role: Graphic Designer, UX & UI Design
Methods and Tools: Surveys, Sketches, Photoshop
Practices: User Research, Prototyping
We wanted to create a website portal for new and existing clients to be able to see all of their insurance information with ease. We wanted users to be able to quickly get new quotes, update existing claims and even book an appointment with a broker.
Note: For this case study, I am not going to cover the entire website experience of the users. I will be addressing the issues faced by the users and the features we wanted to roll out to help facilitate the claim process.
We wanted to focus on ease of use, while decreasing bounce rates. The site was performing decently enough, but recent drops in conversions we wanted to start the discussion about upgrading the website.
Some pain points uncovered when reaching out to brokers were:
We also wanted to set a strong foundation for the website so that future features can be added and with increased marketing and a new landing page we wanted to increase conversions.
We wanted the website to be easy enough for older users to navigate. They made up a significant chunk of our demographic and if we could keep them saitified with the experience, it would be a cakewalk for everyone else.
We also wanted to push mobile as 73% of our users were visiting our site on mobile, so everything had to be well packaged and easy to use.
The three main comonalities:
We asked ourselves a few questions before starting:
In order to learn more about the needs of my users i took the following steps:
The journey maps helped visualize the new process that a user goes through in order to accomplish their goal. They also helped me consider the structure and layout that would be necessary for specific screens.
With wireframing, trying to iron out details of the experience and find any additional pain points that may not have come up during initial planning. I then refined what would be the final look, feel and branding of the website.
Results of the prototyping in a closed group of 50 test users showed us the following:
After gathering basic information such as which product and coverage amount they wanted we gave users the option to pick their preferred location and language for their appointment as well as date and time that was most convenient for them.
We then presented users a list of brokers they could meet with based on their parametres. Using our ratings and review system they can then select the broker who best suited their needs.
At a glance we gave users the power to quickly:
Getting a new quote for an additional product was as easy as confirming your existing information prepopulated in your application, choosing the product and the amount of coverage you wanted.
If the application needed a broker appointment the system would take you to the appointment screen.
When creating a new claim, users would confirm basic information, enter in the details such as injury type and hospital information, and get a claim number assigned to them right away.
We offered a checklist of documents they needed to submit digitally and we would let them know of any that needed to be mailed in physically.
We also wanted to implement a chat function for any questions users may have while going about their tasks.
The big challenge with this project was scope creep and dev time. The more solutions we found the more features we wanted to implement. So it was about managing expectations to have an MVP we could deliver on time.
Working closely with the devs I was able to identify and then work around technology, budget and manpower limitations and develop a solution that was streamlined and solved our problems.
I learned that the initial research, determining the target audience then tailoring the experience to that demographic was key. We had a slew of features that we wanted to roll out but had to hold back as they would most likely cause a drop off of usage in the website.